February 22, 2006

70% Of Oceans "Shark-Free"

That's the good news. The bad news is that most of that 70% consists of areas at depths below 6,500 feet. There are, however, plenty of sharks in the other 30% of the oceans. You know, where human beings like to swim.

It had been hoped that, as man explored deeper into the abyss, new shark species would be discovered. Scientists do not know why sharks are absent from the deep, but suggest one possible reason might be a lack of food.

They warn their finding has environmental implications. Professor Monty Priede, director of Oceanlab at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland said: "Sharks are already threatened worldwide by the intensity of fishing activity, but our finding suggests they may be more vulnerable to over-exploitation than was previously thought."

So as time goes by there are fewer and fewer sharks that could potentially bite off one of my extremeties. I consider that a good thing.

Environmental implications? Sharks eat people. What am I missing here?

Posted by: Gary at 02:28 PM | No Comments | Add Comment
Post contains 171 words, total size 1 kb.

<< Page 1 of 1 >>
13kb generated in CPU 0.0123, elapsed 0.0948 seconds.
111 queries taking 0.0879 seconds, 216 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.